Image © Bob Jones
Latitude: 58º 38'N
Longitude: 03º 04'W
Ownership: Highland Council
Usage: Leisure, Fishing, Ferry Terminal
Contact name: Mr Alec Jappy, Helmsdale Harbour Master
Telephone no: 01431 821692
About John O'GroatsThe name derives from Jan de Groot, one of three brothers who arrived in the area in 1496 with a commission from King James 1V to operate a ferry between the mainland and Orkney. The area is still very much a farming and crofting area. The small harbour is mainly used by lobster and crab fishing boats.
A passenger ferry runs from John O'Groats to Orkney during the summer months.
Return to Area Map