Image © Bob Jones
Latitude: 56º 47'N
Longitude: 02º 19'W
Ownership: Aberdeenshire Council
Usage: Leisure, Fishing
Contact name: Mr Richard McBay
Address: Welch Cottage, 19 Main Street, Johnshaven, Kincardineshire
Telephone no: 01561 362262 (home)
About JohnshavenIn the 18th Century Johnshaven was one of the largest fishing communities in Scotland. There were 26 boats and at least 130 fishermen in 1722. The largest boats with a crew of 10 were used only for 3 months in the summer for distant cod fishing, the smaller boats with a crew of eight the rest of the year, there being 13 boats of each type.
The most southerly of Aberdeenshire's seven harbours, Johnshaven has two basins separated by a central jetty. Extending to 5800 square metres with 330 metres of quay-side, the harbour offers quayside fresh water and there is a slipway available. Around 20 boats have regular moorings there and some are involved in commercial shell fishing.
The more sheltered inner basin offers three to six metres of water at high tide but the harbour dries out at low tide and it is advisable to check access with the Harbourmaster. The very narrow entrance through a rocky foreshore can be difficult in winds from between North-East and South-East.
Return to Area Map