Image © Bob Jones
Latitude: 51° 12'N
Longitude: 03° 27'W
Ownership: West Somerset District Council
Usage: Leisure, Fishing
Contact name: Harbour Master
Telephone no: 01643 702566.
About MineheadThe first written mention of Minehead is in the Domesday Book of 1087. ‘Minehead’ is Celtic, similar in origin to the Welsh mynydd (mountain), reflecting the prominence of North Hill which shelters the settlement at its base, immediately next to the sea..
Until the 15th century Minehead’s main income came from farming. Then the fishing trade developed and the Bristol Channel became the trading route to Ireland. In 1559 shipping and the woollen industry were the main sources of income.
With the growth of transport links in the 19th Century, Minehead developed a new image as a holiday resort, and it retains that function today.
Return to Area Map