Image © Bob Jones
Latitude: 58° 37'N
Longitude: 03° 22'W
Ownership: Highland Council
Usage: Leisure, Fishing
Contact name: Mr Alec Jappy, Helmsdale Harbour Master
Telephone no: 01431 821692
About DwarwickThe original small stone pier was constructed and funded by the Caithness County Council and the people of Dunnet between 1893 and 1897. It is a favourite place from which to launch small boats, to fish from the end of the pier in relatively deep water, skin dive and surf.
In 1955 H.M.R.Y. Britannia anchored off Dwarwick Pier for the first and only time. Queen Elizabeth, the Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Charles and Princess Anne landed at the Pier to visit the Queen Mother at the nearby Castle of Mey. This landing was commemorated by Caithness County Council by the erection of a flagstone plaque.
Severe storms washed away the lower slipway and pier during the winters of 1969/70. Dwarwick Pier Association was formed and improvements were undertaken with assistance from various agencies.
The pier and slipway are used by local fishermen and the area is popular with divers (see website).
Return to Area Map